Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Secret Addiction

This morning I received a TEMPTING email from my favorite website, www.modcloth.com telling me a dress I LOVE is almost sold out. Evil tempting websites....Most people who know me, know I HATE the mall. Hate it.

So I avoid the mall. Now lots of people think this means I don't like buying things, but the secret reality is that I have a horrible on-line shopping problem. I love finding stuff on line, I love getting the stuff I ordered on line. No lines, no stupidity, no hassles. LOVE IT! In fact nothing makes me happier than having something show up in the mail, and to put this in perspective, my UPS guy and my Priority Post guy both know me by name...yeah, it's a bit of a problem.

I've been saving money and am getting ahead financially for the first time in my life. In my proactive pledge to be a better me, I have begun getting my licensing and certification in the wonderful world of Financial Services, so my knowledge of money is growing.

But I'm not listening to my own advice.

I think the reason for my unashamed online habit is simply this: For years I was in a situation where I wasn't "allowed" to buy things that I wanted or (much more often) needed. When I did buy things I was guilted for doing so, or worse. For the first time in my life, I am in a position to not sweat or worry when I buy a dress, or a pair of shoes, or a book...or 9 of them....*she says a little sheepishly*

In the last 24 hours I was inspired by a blog I stumbled upon, check it out: http://www.andthenshesaved.com

This blog isn't the only amazing example of dedication and financial responsibility in my life. I have the good fortune of the leadership in this area my good friend (and client) Julie is taking with her family. She is not just talking the talk, but she's showing me how to 'get it done!'

So in the spirit of becoming a better me at 40, I've decided to start an 'online shopping fast' for the month of May. My intent is to be accountable by posting this now, and then tracking the money I would normally have spent, making a list of it, and then putting that money on our mortgage. Depending upon how I do, and how it goes, I plan to continue through out the year with this and hopefully break my 'addiction' to "stuff"!

I wonder how much it is going to horrify me to see what I actually spend in a month normally! I wonder how proud of me Kyle is going to be??

No comments:

Post a Comment