Friday, April 20, 2012

Ode to The Divine Ms. Marilyn

This weekend I get to see my darling friend and sister-by-choice, receive her Masters in Leadership. I think this utterly silly! Marilyn should be receiving a Doctorate in Leadership. Is there a level higher than this? If so, she's more than earned it. Make no mistake, she's one of the smartest people I know, BUT more than that, it's her grace and dignity, her discernment and wisdom that really makes her BRILLIANT!

She's taught me so much in the years I've known her. And for those of you who don't have the honor of having this amazing woman in your lives, I hate to rub it in, but you're REALLY missing out!

Her genuine humor and compassion for humanity humble me daily. Her love of family and friends and great food envelop me regularly. The way she leads by example in adversity and challenge is a lesson that the world needs to learn.

I used to be a single mom, but I don't like using that term. The reason why is not just because I happen to have an absolutely wonderful spousal equivalent now, but because I don't think I ever truly did it alone, Marilyn helped me see this not too long ago.

Somehow in my life, I've always been able to surround myself by wonderful strong women (and a few GREAT men) who have carried me through when I couldn't stand, much less walk on my own. When my family failed me, I landed on my backside HARD and cried. When I was done crying I looked up to see hands extended, pulling me, lifting me, carrying me. When my family failed my children, I stepped forward already ensconced in the arms of beautiful loving women who through their character, strength, and true beauty showed me the REAL value of family.

Marilyn is one of these women and I'm so proud of her. So tomorrow when she crosses the stage, I will thank a God I question daily, due to the actions of others, for this marvellous, loving, beautiful woman, who I have the great honor of calling my friend. Congratulations doll, you ARE my mentor and who I hope to be someday when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment