Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

I just finished reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen, and it was FABULOUS! Between her mastery of grammar and big words--which apparently is rather vexatious to several amazon.com reviewers--and her storytelling the book felt more like a conversation than a memoir. 


Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

Title and shared last name aside, my Mennonite world was quite different than hers, however the truths and hilarity with which she writes is funny because it is impossible to not relate on such a fundamental level. She writes and tells stories in a way that reminds me, very fondly, of my aunties and a time when this humor and silliness was a constant in my world.

Mennonites, are seemingly extremely conservative by nurture--I'm not certain that Mennonite conservatism is a by nature kind of thing. And they are generally pretty hilarious. I know this for a fact. I am one...sort of...but that is another post for another time.

This book isn't even really about being Mennonite, so much as marching to the beat of your own drum, even when rhythmically challenged. Being unapologetically secular, real and human makes her views and ways of relating them hysterical. 

Excerpt (my apologies for the weird underling--not sure why it did that, can't seem to fix it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment