Friday, May 18, 2012

Things I learned in Mexico



Some days I feel like the most blessed girl on the planet...actually it's most days I feel like that. Getting to spend my life with someone who shares my adoration for travel and adventure doesn't hurt either.

While we were in Mexico I learned a few things.

1. Being disconnected from the world, makes me much more connected to those around me. I spent 7 days getting to know some really great people, laughing lots, and falling a little more in love with my sweetheart. I need to disconnect much more often.

2. While the all-inclusive was nice, and not having to carry a purse or worry about what things were costing was fun for a few days, it truly took away from the experience of being in another country. In the past, I've come back speaking more Spanish and feeling like I know something about the culture and country I was in, not so this time.

3. Not every human should wear a bikini, and as a result of this knowledge, I now have very few body issues based upon the *ahem* "lovely" scenery we were subjected to. Seriously, I get that you're European, but do you have to show me HOW European???

4. WEAR SUNSCREEN--Dear 50 year old woman by the pool who looked 65, thank you for the lesson.

5. I LOVE rappelling, cliff jumping, and zip-lining. I DO NOT love fishes swimming near my feet, stingray's or iguanas.

6. Cenotes are the coolest things ever, especially when you rappel in!

7. I'm a food snob--and all inclusive food sucks after 7 days. And the novelty of free booze wears off around day 3. True Story.

8. Being seated beside the drunkest guy on the flight makes for the longest flight ever. Don't be the drunk obnoxious guy. Thankfully Kyle was there to talk me off the ledge!

9. Carrying a veritable pharmacy of stomach aides, and pain killers makes you really popular at a resort!

10. Traveling with the person I love and being understood really truly matters. It's hard to not be feeling well, or being drunk with fatigue at the best of times, but when you're traveling with stupid people (not our group, but the rowdy drunken group who was on our flight), having someone who will take over, or just put a reassuring hand on your shoulder to keep you from snapping is something to be grateful for. It makes life wonderful and traveling so much fun.

I've also learned that to fill my soul, I need to get on a plane more often, and that my kids need to learn to love to travel too. Today, in spite of some of the lessons I learned, or maybe because of, I feel blessed, loved and relaxed. Now I just need to find a way to make work coincide with my desire to travel, my need for adventure, and my love of food!


No comments:

Post a Comment