Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Third Avenue United Church NOT a historical site??


I don't understand religion as a business. I understand that today society as a whole has progressively walked away from the church, and so attendance and tithing is down to critical levels, but to simply dismiss one of the only truly beautiful buildings in downtown Saskatoon as not being able to be designated in order to not limit a prospective buyer for it seems irresponsible.

Were churches and clergy at one time not charged with keeping historical records? Isn't the influx of attendees around Easter and Christmas a product of legacy and tradition?

Maybe its because I grew up playing on the ruins of my ancestors in the neighborhood near my grandparent's home in New Delhi, India. But I've always had a healthy respect of what came before me. More so as I now have children and as I've grown up.

The fact that a religious organization would summarily create an obstruction to the congregation's attempts to save their church is sad. And it's not just because this has an effect on people I know. But because of the way they have dismissed the designation as an option, in order to ensure a financial transaction down the road. They can dispute that as much as they want but their own statement is indicative of this.

This is why I do not believe in religion. I believe in Faith. Religion destroys. Faith builds. How can it even be considered that a glorious building like this could be taken over to condo's or office space?

We don't go to Europe to see slick glass buildings. We go to experience longevity, and roots and beautiful architecture that we have so limitedly here. It would be a shame to see what little Saskatoon has to offer in terms of architecture and history be lost to a bad decision.

John and Rosanna, may your faith carry you far and build up what others are trying to destroy! I know you have our support.


No comments:

Post a Comment