Friday, June 15, 2012

Dear Hallmark, you suck

This weekend is Father's Day, and so I ventured out last weekend to the Hallmark store, after all, the 10,000 commercials they have say they have a card for every occasion...turns out...not so much.

First I was looking for a "we may not be married, but you're the best partner in crime and parenting a girl could ask for" type cards. There were lots of "To my Husband" Not even a banal "To the man I love" with no title to pigeonhole the relationship. There wasn't even a "Yo! Thanks for being my baby daddy!" ... seriously Hallmark? WTH?

After 35 cards and much frustration, I thought, ok...in this day and age, kids don't have dad's like they used to, there has to be something I can give him from the kids. Well unless you're a biological father, or a step dad or pet owner, nothing! Not even a "you may not be my dad but you're an awesome father figure and I appreciate you!" kind of card.

So Hallmark, based upon the demographic of friends I have I'd like you to note that you should maybe take a leap to 2012 when the traditional family isn't as common, and those non traditional may not be trailer park either.

Then again the world is ending this year, so I understand you hedging your bets.

And because Hallmark couldn't help me I have this to say:

To my BESTEST friend in the whole wide world, most awesome non-bio dad ever, and most generous human I know, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! 

When my little family was happy and what we thought as good as it gets, you came into our lives and showed us how much better it could be. You make our family amazing and complete. We couldn't have more gratitude to have you in our lives and I only hope a life time of showing you our love will be able to convey how much you have changed our lives by being you and loving us right back. 

We love you.

I love you.

To quote Elton John, and because I'm no Hallmark writer, "I hope you don't mind, that I put down in words, how wonderful life is while you're in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment