Thursday, June 21, 2012

Full-day kindergarten not on provincial agenda

Full-day kindergarten not on provincial agenda

Further to the article regarding the budget cut backs, out of my four kids, three attended full day preschool and full day kindergarten. In this day and age of working parents, of which I've been a full time employee following maternity leave, giving mt children the strongest opportunity to be the best that they can be is the deepest desire of my heart.

This is strictly my opinion, and I can't speak for all parents, however I know that I'm not alone in this. To know that instead of the mass chaos of daycare where keeping them from being broken or bleeding is the highest priority I chose to pay a premium for full time preschool and then when I had the option, full day kindergarten. Please don't misunderstand, I work full time as I don't have the patience to have a house full of kids to chase, I deeply respect those that are called to childcare as a vocation!

However, having the choice to choose education over ONLY childcare was something I as a mom felt to be important for shaping my kids.

I won't pretend that my kids are the most academically gifted, nor the most perfectly behaved. They're kids, and unrealistic expectations are already set upon them by society, I don't need to add to that. Instead I needed to give them the biggest leg up I could, which was early learning and discipline to read, write, add and subtract.

I know other provinces offer "traditional school" options, and I would hope that our province at some point will follow suit. Discipline, grading system, arts, sports, culture. Were that an option, I'd take it.

To know that now not only are our governments slashing budgets for the arts, sports and culture, but also for education on the whole leaves me shaking my head. What future does our society have when even the basics of educational options?

No comments:

Post a Comment